Friday 25 February 2011

Giddy Kippers


A friend a while back introduced me to a little sandwich shop in Calverley called Giddy Kippers. I always try and call in if I'm in that part of Leeds around lunchtime.

The shop is for take away mainly but does have three stools along the back wall for those wanting to eat in. The standing area in front of the counter feels a little tight if there are more than four of you waiting.

They serve a selection of hot and cold sandwiches, salads, jacket potatoes and cakes all made fresh on the premises. The sandwich selection is a lot more adventurous than most shops featuring the Italian Club - chorizo, salami, dolcelatte cheese, sweet pickled pepper, green leaves and mayo or the Smoked salmon, cream cheese, black pepper, lemon juice and cucumber.
The sandwiches come on a traditional breadcake or you can choose to have a baguette or ciabatta for an extra 20p. They are all made to order and wrapped individually in grease paper. The sandwiches are top notch but you have to pay top notch prices for them, they start at £2.20 for an egg mayo with most around the £3 mark.

They offer a range of homemade salads from Ginger and chilli noodle salad to coleslaw. I've found the portion sizes for the salads vary massively. Not good when your super hungry and you open your carton thinking it must have come open and some fell out. The cakes on the other hand are portioned generously and the bakewell tart is a must for any frangipane lover.

Great sandwich shop shame they are city centre prices.


Giddy Kippers
62 Carr Road
Calverley
Leeds
LS28 5RH
0113 255 6444
Website



View v1.1 in a larger map

1 comment:

  1. I am in Brighton but for some reason I just googled "why does everyone keep calling me a giddy kipper" (they don't and I can't explain why I even searched that!
    So that's how I ended up here - the weird thing though - I was born in Calverley and lived there for the first 10 years of my life. Now THAT has got to be significant. Wonder what it all means...lol.

    ReplyDelete